Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Birthday cupcakes...Penguin style

So I had a lot of people ask me how I made the penguins...easy...easy!!! In fact, they have been the easiest cupcakes I have ever made. Now let me tell you right up front, I did not think of this idea on my own...Wish I did, but did not!!! Hello, Cupcake! is the name of the book by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson. You can find their book(s) on Amazon for 10.00...They are great table books just to look through, even if you don't bake.

 They were totally cute, but not sure if it was worth the price I paid to make them. For a small party totally worth doing, but not for 34 kids!!!

Here are the directions for the penguins

Bake your cupcakes according to the directions (box or homemade)
Allow them to cool and then begin stacking your creation
1 small doughnut
1 doughnut hole or 1 cake ball (I have used both of them, neither one makes a difference!)
Frost (store bought frosting) the stack and then allow them to freeze (I kept mine in the freezer overnight, allow at least 15 minutes in the freezer)







Microwave your frosting (once again, store bought :)) for 10 sec. intervals until completely runny!
Dip the whole cupcake into the frosting, bring it up slowly allowing any chocolate to drip off and then quickly bring it back up...Allow to dry
Use Famous Chocolate Wafers (spendy, but I could not find any other kind of cookie) cut them in half and press firmly but gently into the body of the penguin.
Cut the tips of marshmallows off and use those as the belly
Cut a Starburst diagonally and dab a little chocolate onto it and place it on the face for the beak
Dab a little white frosting on for eyes and mini chocolate chips (or a dap of frosting) for the pupils.



And there you have your family of sugar overloaded penguins...Enjoy. My kids sure did (and others!)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Those are almost too cute to eat!
I don't know if I would have the patience for that many steps though, I bet the kids loved them.