Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Teacher Appreciation Week

Of course, you can't go through one day or week without some holiday, but teacher appreciation week hits a soft spot in my heart! I love my job, in fact I really don't see myself doing anything but teaching. As the years go by though it is getting harder and harder...and I thought teaching was supposed to get easier the longer you have been at it. ha!

I am not sure if the economy has to do with all the problems we are having in the classroom or if some parents just don't parent anymore! It is really frustrating. The problems the children have in these days are not even comparable to the problems I ever had or probably will never have! These kids come to school and we expect them to learn what verbs, adjectives, nouns,  how to write a complete sentence, multiply and divide and all they can think of is... that one of their parents don't want them or don't want to see them, they saw their dad doing drugs, their mom is in prison for "being in the wrong place at the wrong time", they are living with great grandparents, they haven't seen their dad in over a year or worse yet, they have never seen their dad! Seriously, my heart aches for these children and then the other part of me wants to scream and yell at their parents for doing this to them. There really needs to be a test before you can get pregnant. If you and your significant other (at the time) cannot pass the test both people right there get fixed on the spot!

And then not to mention Mr. Luna (Mr. Lunatic) wants us (teachers) to get paid for how well the kids do in school! I would love for every single congressman to come into my classroom and work with these kids for a month. I bet they would change their level of thinking very quickly!

Now that I got that off my chest it is teacher appreciation week and I love to shower Cailey's teachers with some small token of how much we appreciate them. I teach third grade, that is 26 8 or 9 year olds. Not 30 3-5 year olds. I don't know how she does it, but dang Mrs. Riggans is a great teacher! She has two other helpers that Cailey just adores too.

This year we made up these little plastic holders that say "You are o "fish" ally the best." Filled with Swedish Fish.  No I did not come up with this idea on my own. The world wide web is great for ideas, but bad for creativity. I seriously don't even think for myself anymore.



Cailey had snacks on Monday, we supply snacks and drinks for all the kids in the class 2-3 times a year. They are butterflies, even though Cody will argue they are not! I wanted to do this idea for a couple of years, and it was now or never. Cayden will not want to take butterflies to school with him next year!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yes, it's a butterfly but they are almost too cute to eat! Love your crafty teacher appreciation idea and I agree that the parents need to step up also all the learning can't fall on the teachers! Keep up the good work we love our teachers!